Maritime Museums of Australia Project Support Scheme (MMAPSS)
The museum offers grants to regional museums and organisations to help them preserve Australia's rich maritime heritage.
The museum’s grant and internship program (known as the Maritime Museums of Australia Project Support Scheme or MMAPSS) offers funding to regional museums and organisations to help preserve or display objects of national and historical maritime significance.
It also supports staff or volunteers, from remote or regional organisations, to spend time learning specific skills and making valuable connections.
Many cultural institutions around the country care for maritime items of historical and national significance. The museum supports and encourages efforts to conserve and display unique local objects for today’s audiences and future generations.
If your museum or organisation has an object of significance you want to preserve or display then you may be eligible to apply for a grant of up to $10,000. Funding is provided by the Australian Federal Government and the Australian National Maritime Museum.
The scheme gives grants up to $10,000 for projects that fall into one of these categories:
Since 1995, the scheme has given over $1,000,000 to organisations in Queensland, New South Wales (including Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands), Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
If you have any questions about MMAPSS please contact the coordinator:
The Maritime Museums of Australia Project Support Scheme is funded by the Australian Government.
All non-profit, incorporated maritime museums and other eligible organisations are encouraged to apply. We also welcome joint applications from two or more eligible institutions. The grant funding may be used to supplement your other funding, including sponsorship.
Eligible applicants are required to complete the 2016-2017 application form for projects or internships to be eligible for funding in the 2016–2017 round.
Submissions must be received by the Australian National Maritime Museum no later than 31 March 2016 for funding in the financial year 2016–2017. An email will be sent to acknowledge the application has been received.
Via Email: Applicants are encouraged to submit applications to The MMAPSS Coordinator via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants submitting electronic applications must ensure signatures are in place on the application.
OR Via Mail:
The MMAPSS Coordinator
Australian National Maritime Museum
Wharf 7, 58 Pirrama Road
Pyrmont NSW 2009
To become familiar with the scheme, download the MMAPSS 2016–2017 guidelines and application forms:
Please note: Interns will be required to comply with all reasonable directions issued by the Museum during their period of placement. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the Australian National Maritime Museum's Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Induction Booklet (PDF) and ANMM Child Protection Policy (PDF).
This Google map shows the location of previous grants given around Australia. Click on a blue marker to view more information about the grant or view a larger map.
This project is to ensure the ongoing care of the HMS Sirius collection as recommended by previous condition and conservation reports. ANMM Manager Conservation, will facilitate ANMM support to review the collection items and to provide a report on the condition of the collection.
For an integrated Murray River experience located at both the Albury Library Museum and Murray Riverside Precinct that increases access to and engagement with Albury's unique maritime history. Funding is awarded for the costs associated with the production of three external story boards.
Funding is awarded to conduct a 3D laser scan of the vessel Florrie and to engage a specialist with timber vessel conservation expertise to assist the museum’s executive and volunteers to undertake identified immediate/short term conservation works to Florrie. This project will also result in a formalised Conservation Management Plan, prepared collaboratively between the museum and Ballina Shire Council and with the assistance of an expert in heritage management.
The Berry Flood boat, is an 1888, clinker built, 24 foot vessel. An ANMM curator will provide support to review the significance of the vessel, assess the suitability of including the vessel on the Australian Register for Historic Vessels (ARHV) and to assist with the development of a Conservation Management Plan.
ANMM Production and Lighting Manager will provide support to this organisation in their plans for improvements to displaying documents, photographs and memorabilia of the history of the Steam Ship building industry on the Williams River, the river trade of the early 1800’s, and the village of Clarence Town. Support will include the ANMM's offer of donated showcases and assistance to assess the suitability these showcases to the Museum and their display.
Funding is for interpretive signage and an information kit as part of the Council's Jetty Walkway project which is being constructed as an entry to the historic (1890/92) jetty.
Funding is awarded to develop and add 7 entries of unique content and an overall essay, on the arrival of the Second Fleet to this digital education resource. Written by local researchers, authors and historians, the essays will capture historical detail of the Second Fleet presented with contemporary resonances.
Funding is for the commissioning of a bespoke display case and object support alongside the development of visual, text and audio interpretation for the ARHV listed Bunumbert bark canoe.
Funding is to engage a consultant to complete the recording of the museum’s collection into the museum’s electronic data base. This work will enable them to find the best material to put together quality exhibitions, increase access to the collection and secure nationally significant objects, in line with their 2014 significance assessment.
ANMM Head of Research, Maritime Archaeology Exploration and Navy, will provide support by organising an ANMM representative to review the Commonwealth Lighthouse Service (CLS) museum collection items and to assist with an initial collection assessment.
For conservation treatments and storage materials for two objects in the Port Macquarie Historical Society collection. The Cargo Manifest Book, PS Ballina, (1870s) and a Painting, ‘Just arrived at Cundletown’ by Dr G H Bruhn, (1858). These two objects were assessed in a 2014 Conservator Assessment and Condition Report by Preservation Australia and identified as requiring priority treatment.
This organisation has researched Australian surfing pioneer, Tommy Walker, whose story challenges the currently celebrated story that surfing was brought to Australia by Hawaiian surfer Duke Kahanamoku. ANMM Senior Curator Communities will provide support to review the significance of this story and advice about telling the story.
Funding is for the manufacture of 10 anodised aluminium interpretive signs displaying photographic and factual information to be located along public walkways. The signage will acknowledge the use of the marine environment including the Worimi Nation, the early European explorers and settlers, the businesses, various naval undertakings and today’s sea farers.
The flood boat ‘Shoalhaven’ embodies key elements of the region’s heritage: cedar, floods and river flat settlement. This organisation plans for the vessel include seeking professional assessment, conservation work, relocation with interpretation signage. An ANMM curator will provide support by sighting the vessel, reviewing the existing Conservation Management Plan (CMP) and providing professional assessment of the proposed conservation works and relocation.
This organisation aims to create high quality archival scans of their collection of bark paintings which articulate Yolngu culture and depict sea country. ANMM Manager Conservation and ANMM Manager Indigenous Programs will provide support to oversee the use of bark paintings from the ANMM collection for a test scan.
Funding is awarded to digitise and preserve photographic types include 100 plus 6”x4” glass negatives; albumen, carte de viste; and gelatin silver prints in their collection which document the occupation and development of the Maroochy River region from the mid 1800’s to the present day. This work will provide greater capacity for online public access to their collections. Archival storage materials, albums and containers will also be purchased to appropriately store and preserve the collections.
For stage 3 of the vessel restoration plan, for the Bunda-La, an ARHV listed 1958 ex-pilot boat, used in service along the Queensland coast.
To relocate and upgrade an interpretive exhibit about the wreck of the Star of Greece off Port Willunga in 1888, an event with close historical links with the region. The exhibit will include a number of significant items about the vessel that the Willunga Branch of the National Trust holds in its collection as well as information about other wrecks in the region.
Funding is awarded to engage an educational consultant and for materials production. This project will map the Whyalla Maritime Museum's collection and tour guide activities to the Australian History Curriculum as well as develop teacher and student resources for key experiences and specific maritime history topics.
An ANMM curator will provide support to review the significance of a 16’ lifeboat from the former river ferry, the Excella. Support will also include assessing the suitability of including the vessel on the Australian Register for Historic Vessels (ARHV) and to assist with establishing provenance and the development of a Vessel Management Plan (VMP).
Funding is for a display illustrating the history of navigation from the stars, tides and lodestones used by early navigators, to modern satellite navigation relating to Tasmania’s maritime history. The display will include; a star installation, 6 graphic panels, a cut out removable mural, instruments, a chart table, a theodolite (approx. 1889) used to chart the Huon River, an interactive showing the use of lead lines to determine the type of bottom beneath a ship, a simulator which would allow visitors to steer a ship.
ANMM Head of Learning, will provide support and advice as this organisation works to develop an education program available to lower and upper primary levels and to build an education audience.
The reproduction of the 1830's vessel, the Enterprize, was built between 1991-1997 and undertakes school education and sailing programs to provide the opportunity to experience a sailing conditions on an 1830’s type of vessel. Team Leader and rigger for the HMB Endeavour will provide support through expert advice and guidance about the conservation of the vessel, now in its 18th year of operation.
On 30 August 2015 Melbourne will celebrate 180 years since the arrival of the original Enterprize. This organisation plans to develop an educational information pack suitable for schools and other community groups including interactive material suitable for hearing impaired children. ANMM Head of Learning will provide in-kind to support this organisation and investigate potential opportunities for points of collaboration with the ANMM.
Funding is to extend the available augmented reality (AR) narrative on the paddle steamer “Gem” to two additional areas ‐ the Engine Room and The Wheelhouse to enhance the telling of the stories of the people of the Murray river.
Funding is to engage a consultant to undertake a full significance assessment of their collection pieces. This organisation will use the significance assessment to guide the revision of their policies and procedures and to direct the focus of their exhibitons on approximaltey 5 key stories from their existing collection.
Funding is awarded for a shipwreck walk on the museum’s land which is located on the banks of the picturesque Vasse River. The walk with give account of local shipwrecks via a weather proof information booklet, a map and plaques.
This project will educate visitors in an interactive and fun way about the history of the heritage listed Busselton Jetty as a port and the critical role that marine bollards have played to secure heavy ships. Funding is awarded for interpretive signage to be developed in a Q&A format that leads visitors from one bollard to another on the Jetty to search for the answer to maritime questions. The information discovered will tell the story of 'mushroom bollards', 'bollards on ships', 'mooring lines', 'buffers', 'piles', 'spring ropes' and the timber industry ships that relied upon the bollards, rain, hail or shine.
Funding is for an interpretation plaque and preservation cabinet for an interpretive display of the life buoy from the Schooner Ayesha, a vessel that was used by the SS Emden landing party to escape capture by the HMAS Sydney following the 'Battle of Cocos' November 1914.
Funding is awarded for the design and installation of interpretation panels for the Cheynes IV to inform visitors of the role that the ship (and her crew) played in Australia's whaling story. These panels will complement the existing audio re-enactment of a whale chase.
For the Murray River Paddle Steamers – Kenneth Jack' project. Funding is for the conservation and reframing of fifteen works lino print artworks by Australian artist Kenneth Jack, which feature the Murray River paddle steamers. These works will be incorporated into the permanent Collection Galleries of the Albury Regional Art Gallery.
For the ‘Stewart Towers of Barranjoey Headland’ project. Funding is for expert research and documentation of interpretive material about the Stewart Towers, two wooden towers which were constructed and operated from 1868 on Barranjoey Headland. These towers assisted the safe passage for vessels sailing from Sydney to Newcastle until they were replaced by the present lighthouse in 1881.
For the ‘Corambirra Point Gun emplacement restoration and interpretation project stage 1’. This project will engage a heritage conservation specialist to prepare a conservation management plan. Work is also planned to develop interpretative material for use both in the form of interpretative signage and online.
For the ‘Linking the First Fleet to Sydney's maritime, social and cultural history’ project. Funding is for the Dictionary of Sydney to commission eleven entries encompassing each the First Fleet vessels and an overall essay.
In-kind support towards the project ‘Development of Room 6 & 8 at Fort Scratchley's Museum to commemorate and honour the service of Australian service men & women in the first world war and second world wars’. For donated showcases from the ANMM and the support of an ANMM designer.
For a site visit and support from an ANMM curator to review the significance of the vessel, assess the suitability of including the vessel on the Australian Register for Historic Vessels (ARHV) and to discuss the development of a vessel management plan.
For a site visit and support from an ANMM curator to review the significance of the vessel, assess the suitability of including the vessel on the Australian Register for Historic Vessels (ARHV) and to discuss the development of a vessel management plan.
Funding is for the ‘Waterways Objects – conservator assessment and condition reports’ project; a joint project of the Museums Australia Mid North Coast Chapter, comprising five museums, for forty eight waterways objects to be professionally assessed and their condition reported on by a trained conservator.
For the PS Ruby, Port of Wentworth ‘Vessel management plan’ project. For an ANMM curator to provide support and assistance towards the development and preparation of a vessel management plan (VMP).
For the ‘Presenting our maritime heritage to Chinese students and visitors’ project to create suitable Chinese translated interpretation of the Maritime Museum of Tasmania's collection.
For the ‘Wreck of the SS Chang Chow’ Project for an interpretive display about the wreck of the vessel, the SS Chang Chow, off the coast of Fraser Island in 1884.
For in-kind support through a site visit from an ANMM representative.
For the ‘HMAS Diamantina steam propulsion interpretation project’ for the electrical installation and install of a basic mechanism to enable guides to turn the ship's starboard engine at slow speed in order for visitors to gain a better appreciation of the technology involved in the ships two four cylinder triple expansion steam reciprocating engines.
For the Clan Ranald Anchor Display and Preservation Project for work to display the SS Clan Ranald anchor.
For the ‘Continuing removal and replacement of rusted bolts and nuts from structure of the Cape Jaffa Lighthouse’ project for a contractor to remove and replace rusted nuts and bolts from level 2 piles above the accommodation section and below the lantern room.
For support from an Australian National Maritime Museum curator to discuss the significance of two hydroplanes in the collection and the suitability of including the vessels on the Australian Register for Historic Vessels (ARHV).
The ship Prima Donna visited Port MacDonnell during the 1880’s and after departing was never seen again. Funding is for the construction and display of a model of the ship.
For the ‘Restoration and interpretation of seamen’s mess deck’ project for a display which will accurately re-create the appearance and atmosphere of the mess deck during the World War II period on the Bathurst class corvette HMAS Castlemaine.
For the ‘Polly Woodside timber conservation deck remediation project’ to engage a maritime heritage carpenter to project manage repair work undertaken by Polly Woodside Volunteer Association & Commonwealth Green Army Project.
For the ‘Significance assessment of heritage collections at six Victorian Lightstations (Gabo Island, Point Hicks, Cape Schanck, Cape Otway, Cape Nelson, and Wilsons Promontory)’ project.
For the ‘Nineteenth century marine toilet – preservation conservation’ project to engage expert knowledge about the correct conservation and preservation processes and treatments for a complex, ceramic, copper ally and lead toilet.
For in-kind support to the Seaworks ‘Collection Development Project’. For Australian National Maritime Museum Head of Research, Maritime Archaeology, Exploration and Navy to conduct a site visit to review the collection and provide advice on collection management, display and possible paths for collection interpretation.
For the “Wildflower” working boat heritage, restoration and research project for the restoration of the Wildflower for display.
For a significance assessment of the Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club historical image collection. This project is also to scan, digitise and organise the collection items. The digital copies of the collection will be made available to the public through an online image database, the National Library of Australia’s Trove website and social media channels.
For the 'Collection Management' project. Funding is for a consultant to conduct a stock take audit of objects of maritime significance in the collection and a professional assessment of national, state, regional and local significance.
For the 'Assessing and recording the wreck of the PS. Manning' project. Australian National Maritime Museum Manager - Maritime Archaeology, Kieran Hosty, will provide in-kind support to collaborate and review the condition of the vessel and provide recommendation on how best to proceed with the management, conservation, recording and future interpretation of the wreck.
For the 'Assessing, preserving and displaying the documentary & pictorial history of Maroubra Surf Life Saving Club Incorporated' project; funding is for an expert assessment of the significance of the club's collection.
For the 'Restoration of Des Odgers Japanese flag' project for the restoration and display of a Japanese flag significant to Kandos' maritime military and social history.
For the 'Moruya Pilot Station Records Transcription' project. This project aims to transcribe the Moruya Pilot Station log books starting with the log of the first pilot Captain John Ross who arrived at the station in 1860 and remained there until his death in 1871. Funding is to copy the first two volumes of log books held in the State Records archives.
For the 'National Standard 3.2 - Paper' project. For a workshop conducted by a Preservation Australia consultant to train volunteers from the museum and other Hunter region community museums.
For the 'Paperworks' project, to engage a paper conservator to carry out the appropriate conservation on two lifesaving certificates presented to Osric B. Notely.
For the display in the History Room and the Assault Room of the Inner Light Cottage and Museum. The Society's photographic display will give a portrayal of the history and heritage of Port Stephens.
For the 'Shipbuilders Memorial Walk' project for two memorials dedicated to individual shipbuilders who made a significant contribution to the shipbuilding industry of Brisbane Waters. The Rotary Club of Kincumber, in conjunction with Gosford City Council, has determined to construct a permanent memorial to these shipbuilders along with 15 individual memorials.
Following from the significance assessment conducted last year and as part of the Tamarama SLSC's plan to identify, digitise and conserve heritage items; this project is for a preservation needs assessment on known items to be conducted by a professional consultant.
For the 'Unlocking the multiple layered histories of the Sydney Harbour Islands online' project. The Dictionary of Sydney is a city encyclopedia based on a permanent historical digital repository with the website being a forum for public discovery, discussion and learning. This project seeks to engage local researchers, authors and historians in documenting the islands of Sydney Harbour and their maritime heritage.
'Shipwrecks, survivors and pioneers of King Island'; this project aims to create eight display boards, with some professional expertise, which will be made up to tell the stories of significant events of the early days of King Island. The displays will be along the Maritime Heritage Trail from the museum to the Currie Lighthouse and are extension of the significance of the maritime collection in the museum.
For the 'Primary School Education Program Back Pack' project for an education program based on discussion cards, teacher's resources and objects that can be taken into the Maritime Museum in a back pack or sailor's ditty bag and used by schools to explore the museum offering a structured experience focusing on key themes and reflecting the new national history curriculum.
For the conservation work on the oil painting and frame of the Sir John Rae Reid ship's portrait. Following a provenance study in 2012-13 into the artist of this ship's portrait; the Narryna Heritage Museum plan to conserve this object which is highly emblematic of Narryna's maritime associations.
Australian National Maritime Museum Curator, David Payne, will provide in-kind support to collaborate, review and provide recommendations on the restoration of the ARHV listed vessel Bunda-La, an ex-pilot boat built in 1958 for QLD Department of Harbours and Marine. The intention of the Caboolture Historical Society is to restore the vessel to its original condition for static-display in the village.
Australian National Maritime Manager - Maritime Archaeology, Kieran Hosty, will provide in-kind support to collaborate and discuss the Cairns Maritime Museum's collection and assist with recommendations around best practice collection management, conservation, recording and future interpretation.
The Krawarree Project seeks to provide public access to the vessel, the Krawarree, following completion of the restoration. On the ARHV, this is the last surviving Army Hospital ship of five built in Tasmania in 1944-45. Australian National Maritime Museum Curator, David Payne, will provide in-kind support to collaborate and provide assistance with the development of a Vessel Management Plan for the Krawarree.
For the '1908 Fisherman's Handicap Cup' project. For the preservation and display of the cup collection won in 1908 by Ben Simms Snr in York Peninsula Regatta for the fisherman's handicap sailing race at Wallaroo in the vessel Alice. The display will include an interactive video for public viewing in the Wallaroo Heritage & Nautical Museum.
This project will produce the interactive map of the Murray - Darling system encompassing geographical elements and maritime heritage trails associated with the paddle steamer industry. The map is a key element to the final stage of the interactive "All Steamed Up" display.
For the conservation, painting and removal of rust from the Cape Jaffa Lighthouse Lantern Room. Funding is conditional on the National Trust of South Australia demonstrating that the work being undertaken is according to a plan approved by a heritage specialist.
For the 'Karatta lifeboat conservation' project. The lifeboat was carried on the S.S. Karatta which serviced Kangaroo Island for 53 years until 1961. This project is for an expert assessment and evaluation of the need for renovation, rehabilitation or conservation.
For the 'Translating technical innovation to exhibition: displaying the Protector project'. Working with the Australian Centre for Visualisation Technology at the University of Adelaide, this project aims to produce geometrically correct 3D models (both virtual and physical) from historic photographs for an exhibition. The exhibition will focus on the colonial warship HMCS Protector which arrived in Port Adelaide in 1884 and offers a way to see the events of WWI from a South Australian Perspective.
For the 'Save the PS Murrumbidgee' project. Australian National Maritime Museum Curator, David Payne will provide in-kind support to collaborate and review the significance of the vessel and provide recommendations on the vessel stabilisation. Echuca Historical Society is seeking support to stabilise the PS Murrumbidgee bow section of the hull with the remains of the vessel to be placed on the river bank until funding is accessed to allow further conservation.
The Mission to Seafarers Victoria holds a heritage collection of approximately 10,000 items dating to the mid-1800s. Funding is for the required archival materials to continue with the cataloguing, preservation and storage program.
For the Conservation of Bird Figurehead from the ship "SEA" project. The Nepean Historical Society have a 160 year old bird shaped ship's figurehead/billet in their collection considered of state significance as a rare surviving example from a 19th century ship. This project is for the conservation and a professional standard interpretive display of the figurehead both in the museum and online.
For the 'HMVS Lonsdale, Recording, Conservation & Interpretation' project. Supported by Heritage Victoria, and with involvement by Flinders University graduate students, this project will conduct a small excavation to uncover the remains of the HMVS Lonsdale, the former Colonial Victorian Navy second class torpedo boat which is buried in the grounds of the Queenscliffe Maritime Museum.
For the 'Interactive 3D presentation and education facility for the Alma Doepel' project. A 3D Finite Element (FE) model of the Alma Doepel was created to assist in developing the structural work plan for the current restoration. This project is to develop a presentation facility for an existing 3D model of the Alma Dopel making the vessel and the restoration project more accessible to the public.
For a professional designer to be engaged for the design of the Stateships exhibition, a permanent exhibition illustrating how essential the Stateships services were to Broome and the Kimberley. The grant will firstly be used for curatorial expertise to determine the content, themes and messages for the exhibition.
For the 'Ed Smidt Collection - The final 8 years of Australian Whaling (Book & DVD)' project. For the commissioning of a book on the late Ed Smidt collection of 56 photographs showing the essence of the final eight years of Australia's last whaling operations.
For the 'Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse Maritime Museum and Interpretive Centre' project. Funding is for a consultant to project-manage development of a centre that communicates the local maritime history relating to the Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse and surrounding district. Also for the restoration of the lighthouse lens and housing from Jarman Island.
For the support of an Australian National Maritime Museum (ANMM) designer to assist with display cases for the exhibition of Zane Grey memorabilia and artefacts project.
For the Canary of the Clyde Project; for an Australian National Maritime Museum curator to assist with the development of a conservation plan for a turpentine oyster punt, an artefact which is important to the local commercial history of oyster farming, and for interpretive signage.
For the 'Establishing a museum environment monitoring system for Eden Killer Whale Museum' project through the purchase of six USB data logging units to monitor and adjust the current collection storage conditions.
For stage one of the restoration and structural works to the site of the Western Barbette at Fort Scratchley, the 80lb Rifled Muzzle Loading Gun, and its Gun Mount project to bring to life the history of this site.
For the 'Masts for the Future' project to replace the existing false masts with original hardware so that all masts will be authentic to the Oberon Classes when in commission.
For the Jerrinja Traditional Canoe Making Project; to construct four traditional Aboriginal Bark Canoes to revive traditional techniques & practices. Jerrinja LALC will mentor and work with Aboriginal Youth from Juvenile Justice and local schools.
For the Conservation of the vessel Crest / Ninon project; for essential restoration and conservation work of the historic vessel Crest to be carried out under the supervision of a qualified and approved shipwright.
For the 'Let there be Light' project; support to the project will be provided by Australian National Maritime Museum designer to visit, review and provide recommendations on display lighting.
For the 'Australian Canoeing and Kayaking Heritage Preservation' project; funding is for the digitisation component of this project; Telecine Transfer of Super 8 and standard 8mm films.
For the Tamarama Heritage Project: Stream 2 - Stage 1, for a significance assessment by a professional consultant.
An Australian National Maritime Museum curator will provide support to assist with the 'Researching and recording objects of maritime significance at the Australian Maritime College' Project.
For the Surfing in Tasmania travelling exhibition on the history of surfing and surf culture in Tasmania.
For the Sir John Rae Reid ship's portrait and frame conservation project. Funding is for research into the painter and provenance of the portrait.
For the disassembly of Plenty and Sons triple expansion steam engine project; for a member of Sydney Heritage Fleet with experience in vintage steam engines to conduct a survey of the original 1912 engine.
To catalogue heritage objects in the Maatsuyker light station, light tower & on the island from the last 121 years of European occupation.
For the HMAS Brisbane Gun Restoration for Maritime Display project
For the Norfolk Island Museum 'Start-Up' Education Program
For the Saving Torres Strait Pearls project; for the recording of the history, songs, dances, stories and photographs related to the pearling lugger Antonia.
For the 'May Belle' project; for an ANMM specialist to document the lines and develop a vessel management plan (VMP) for the May Belle and for interpretation materials.
For the HMAS Diamantina - Type 271 radar installation and interpretation project
For the Paddle Steamer and Barge Building at Goolwa 1853-1913 project; to build on the existing Education program for schools and the general public with a digital film documentary on paddle steamer and barge building at Goolwa 1853-1913.
To Design, plan and cost stages 3 & 4 of the "All Steamed Up" project at the Mannum Dock Museum.
For the development of a Vessel Management Plan (VMP) for the P.S Canally
For the Flagstaff Hill Shipwreck Collection Discovery Trail project; to develop video podcasts that will link the existing Heritage Victoria Shipwreck Discovery Trail and detail the links between the actual sites of wrecks to the collection pieces held by the organisation.
For the conservation of Portland Lifeboat project; for essential structural and some cosmetic works on the vessel as identified in the Portland Lifeboat Conservation Management Plan 2010.
For the Ganagan (Deep Water): Waterways in Koorie Life and Art. For content development for an online component complementing a physical exhibition; this funding will allow artworks and associated stories from the exhibition to be featured on the website.
For the Mallacoota's Sea Mine Field project. For a research project to further develop the interpretation of the region's military maritime history from WWI.
For the 'Digitisation & Conservation of Engineering Drawings of the Lyttelton II Steam Tug' project.
For the 'Promoting Awareness of Maritime Artefact Collection Management' project.
For the Little Dirk Masts & Rigging Carnarvon One Mile Jetty project. Funding is for the interpretation and restoration work on the Little Dirk.
For the Development and Preservation of the Archives of the Balmoral Beach Club. The Club is nearly half-way through this 6 stage project to digitise and preserve over 90 years' worth of club materials. They plan to be completed by 2014.
For the Madjuri Project. This canoe building workshop involved experts and elders teaching the traditions to younger generations in order to preserve them. The canoe was a feature at the ANMM Indigenous Watercraft Conference in 2012.
For the "Our Maritime Heritage" project. Funding provided for the design and installation of a permanent exhibition on maritime history to include contextualization of objects, devising of didactic materials and organisation of fabrication.
For the repairs and maintenance of HMAS OTWAY Holbrook.
For the development of an action plan for the restoration and repairs of the Crest/Ninon; the survey and management plan was coordinated by an ANMM curator.
For the Narooma Lighthouse Conservation project. The Narooma Visitor Centre and Narooma Lighthouse Museum used the funding to develop collection and preservation policies with a well-known conservator.
For the finalisation of Inner Light Museum Make-Over project. This project began in 2010 with MMAPSS funding and this grant was to assist in completing it. The exhibition was improved, visual display further developed and photos enhanced and digitalised for preservation.
For the "Healing Sickness at Sea" project. A medicine chest from the SS St George, which had been untouched for nearly 100 years, underwent chemical analysis of its contents before being put on display with interpretive materials.
For the Wandering Jew Paddle Wheel River Boat and Barwon/Namoi River history project. In order to assist with story-telling of the era the Society built ship and town models. These models feature in a display which also includes photos, stories interpretive information and more.
For the Runnymede Ship's Portraits Project. Two key portraits of Runnymede and Fortitude were cleaned and conserved to be used as the centerpieces for an interpretive exhibition focused on the whaling enterprise developed by the Bayley brothers.
For the Post-1856 Norfolk Island Maritime Project. The condition of key artefacts for two important exhibits, Whaling and Resolution were conserved and enhanced. The bell from the Resolution was also rehoused, photos digitized and display panel upgraded to form a complete exhibit.
For stage 1 of restoration work on the river barge 'Dart'. The complete restoration will be staged over a number of years as part of the conservation plan for the vessel.
For the "All Steamed Up" project. The Museum is in Stage 2 of their project, which rebuilds the internal of paddle steamer with wheelhouse to accompany its static model. Internal developed to be interactive and geared towards children, with a display to include history and stories.
For the "Mementos of Migration" project. This project will enhance the Museum's database by linking artefacts from the Museum to ships and passengers in its database. It will allow patrons to begin to understand the depth of the Museum's collection.
For the Conservation 2011 Project. Many of the Society's paper items have been deemed 'Urgent Priority' by a professional conservationist. Conservation 2011 aimed to conserve a variety of maritime-related paper items such as books, photos and paintings.
For the Koombana Bay Archaeological Dig. Two areas, previously identified as likely to contain shipwrecks of American ships, were excavated over a period of eight days. A team of professionals were engaged to ensure unearthed items are properly identified and recorded with recommendations made regarding their management and care.
For the construction of conservation cradle for Wilson Tunnel Hull fishing boat project. This cradle will allow the movement of the boat for proper storage as well as enable conservation projects to be undertaken more safely and easily.
For The Murray River Experience Research and Heritage Interpretation Project.
For the restoration of the forward saloon of the historic vessel Lady Denman.
To conserve the lifesaving reel and men's one-piece Speedo swimsuit from the Wagga Wagga Surf Life Saving Club collection.
For the Narooma Lighthouse Museum Upgrade.
For the restoration and conservation of semaphore flags including archival storage.
To remount and reframe photographs for the Inner Light Museum Make-over project.
To conserve a pocket compass.
An oral histories project to capture the History of the Australia Day Regatta, the oldest continuous regatta in the world.
Create a Conservation Plan to direct the ongoing preservation and restoration of the historic CSR Cane Punt.
Conservation of a sea trunk that belonged to Lt (later Cpt) Robert Johnston, the notable maritime voyager who cammanded the government schooner Snapper and explored with Messrs Mitchell and Berry.
Conservation treatment for the highly significant Korff Collection objects.
Conservation of two significant collection items held by EKWM, CE Wellings photograph of Old Tom and 51 letters from the Mary Mitchell collection.
Preserving Naval History - Conserving the Max Coward Artwork Collection.
To conserve a pair of 'deadeyes' from the wreck of the 1861 clipper ship Queen of Nations.
Repair the decking of the heritage vessel Lady Denman ferry.
Storage upgrade at the Pilots Cottage Museum, based on recommendations made in a Conservation Survey written by ANMM Head of Conservation, Jonathan London.
To conserve and display a collection of eight paintings depicting significnat events and vessels in the maritime history of the Northern Rivers region.
Des Neil Will spend two weeks in Registration and Conservation to learn how to better implement the MMAPSS project grant the museum received
To transport the Cape Wickham Lighthouse Lens from Melbourne to King Island and towards the refurbishment of the lens' display room.
Towards the restoration of the doghouse and companionway of the historic yacht Westward.
For the project Tasmanian Piners Punts- History, Design and Heritage.
For conservation treatment of convict boat pieces.
For the conservation of high priority HMS Sirius objects. Logical assessment of the wreck site.
Emergency assistance following the Queensland Floods.
To upgrade the exhibition of relics from the Star of Greece shipwreck.
For an oral historian to identify interviewees linked to the Nelcebee's history, compile a list of relevant questions in consultation with curators at SAMM and conduct and record 15 interviews.
For a Preservation Needs Assessment and Preservation/Disaster Planning workshops.
To digitise and copy two significant books.
For a Significance Assessment of the Museum's collection to aid your participation in the Museum Accreditation Program.
For the restoration of the 27ft Montague wooden pulling boat (Whaler).
For a shelter structure to aid the preservation of the historic vessel Little Dirk.
Digitisation of 12 whaling logs kept by Captains Charles & James Bayley of their whaling and trading voyages between 1837 and 1881.
SurfWorld Ed is a project that will develop a variety of education programs for students in primary and high schools relating to Australia's surfing history that meet both the Queensland and NSW school curriculums.
To refurbish the Chance Brothers designed Cape Willoughby Lighthouse.
Conceptual design of the children's exhibition 'All Steamed Up' based on the Paddle Steamer Marion.
Murray River Trade - Lock and Ferry Construction and Operation Display.
Neptunes Wooden Angels: researching & digitising the South Australian Maritime Museum's figurehead collection.
Archiving and preserving the 1950s tuna clipper MFV Tacoma's written, photographic and paper material collection from 1935 to 1998.
Repairs and preservation works for the HMAS Whyalla lifeboat.
Preparation of a report for the preservation and conservation of Portland's historic 1858 lifeboat.
Jennifer Gilbert will spend two weeks in Conservation and Curatorial as an introduction to the principles of museum best practices in these areas.
This grant was used to record oral history interviews for the regional exhibition trail.
The Council conducted a Vessel Management Plan for the Florrie.
Historic photographs were digitised using this grant.
The Society was able to conserve a valuable tapestry depicting the PS City of Grafton entering the mouth of the Clarence River (C1880) using this grant.
This grant went towards a significance assessment and cataloguing of the Museum collection.
The continuation of 'Its all about the Boat' - a historic skiff restoration project - was enabled with this grant.
Used for the conservation of a portrait of Shoalhaven's first river pilot, Captain John Craig.
A display cabinet for important historical trophies was purchased with this grant.
The design and construction of an exhibition celebrating the great rower Ned Trickett was commissioned with this grant.
Artefacts from the Brahmin Collection were relocated and display cases for the objects were purchased with this grant.
Historic photos were framed and exhibited using this funding.
This grant purchased signage for The Admella Discovery Trail, which commemorates the 150th Anniversary of the wreck of the Admella.
Two models to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the wreck of the Admella were purchased.
The grant funded the digitisation of heritage materials.
The restoration of historic flying boat wheel struts (recovered from a lake bed) was made possible using this grant.
Sails for a whaleboat replica were purchased with this funding.
Display cabinets for locally made ship models were purchased with this grant.
The society used this grant to restore and house its miniature steam ship Junma.
Clarence River Historical Society was formed in 1931 and is the oldest country historical society in NSW. This grant funded a project to repair and preserve a portrait of Clarke Irving, an important local historical figure. Mr Irving was a politician, grazier and leading figure in the maritime industry.
This funding was used to develop an interpretive display and construct exhibition showcases for items of significance to the maritime heritage of the historic river port of Morpeth. The display presents the history of shipping from 1823 to 1933 to the community. There is a particular emphasis on educational programs and school groups.
This grant was used to conserve four River Charts from the late 1800s. The charts are drawn in ink on narrow lengths of fabric which join together to make a continuos chart of the Murrumbidgee River. It was probably made by a paddle steamer captain working the Murrumbidgee and Murray Rivers. The natural geography and built environment it depicts has changed dramatically in some places over the past century and remained untouched in others.
The grant was used for the consolidation of storage for documents, photographs and other research material. A team of volunteers reviewed the Society's collection and restored the documentation to improve access to it. A detailed study was then conducted to determine the storage required and the funding was used to purchase storage items.
This grant finalised the restoration of the 1926 Robey boiler in the Paddle Steamer Ruby, a well known vessel. The work included the lagging of the boiler, a common practise of the era that helps make fuel use more economical and lowers heat levels. Lagging involves constructing an insulation layer, then cladding over the insulation, a powder coating and final cladding to match heritage colours, and attach brass straps and fasteners to anchor the lagging.
The Pioneer World Museum, home to the Rowing Eight of the Murray Cods, engaged the services of an ANMM specialist who will assessed the vessel and completed a comprehensive Condition Report.
The Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol, a marine search and rescue volunteer organisation operating in five states since 1937, used this grant to complete a project to archive and preserve its history. The funding secured appropriate storage for the archives.
Built in 1862, the Tathra Wharf played a vital role in the development of the south coast region. It is the sole remaining steamer wharf and ship building combination on Australia's eastern seaboard. This grant funded urgently needed works to protect the Tathra Wharf Maritime Museum's displayed objects and exhibits, which were under threat of being damaged.
The organisation created a lighthouse keeper's archive from Tasman, Bruny and Maatsuyker Island light stations with this grant. The archive included the creation of an image and personal recollections database from the collection of Mr John Cook.
This grant was used to research the museum's half model display and produce an accurate lines plan from a timber half model. The technical part of this project was carried out by a qualified engineer using a laser scanning technique. The scanned data was then be reduced and transfered to computer and the lines plan was drawn using drafting software. Using this method, the museum avoided the risk of physically damaging the models. The resulting plans were made available to model builders and used for interpretation and display. Volunteers gradually worked through all half models held by the Maritime Museum of Tasmania and the Tasmania Museum and Art Gallery.
Proserpine Museum purchased a horizontal plan cabinet with this grant. The cabinet was required to store a unique collection of maritime ephemera relating to the Whitsunday Islands. Donated by local historian Ray Blackwood, the significant collection includes marine charts, logs and journals which are now suitably stored for preservation and accessibility.
The Penguin - gifted to the QMM by the Australian Government - is one of a few remaining luggers that supported pearling operations on the Queensland coast. Originally named Mercia, the 1908 vessel required major restoration. This grant was used for re-caulking and painting the hull, and for the construction of a new cradle to hold the vessel, as its previous, inadequate cradle had damaged the keel and resulted in hogging. Upon resoration, a shade structure was erected over the Penguin and an interpretive display was created to commemorate its 100th anniversary.
Townsville's Coastal Radio Station opened in August 1913 and combined International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) functions with commercial maritime communications. During WWII it was controlled by the Australian Navy and provided the US Airforce with advance notice of the Japanese attack on Guadalcanal. This grant was used to tell the story of the Coastal Radio Station through an engaging exhibition.
The tug Nabilla, which served in the Pacific Islands during WWII, was built for the task by Slazenger (manufacturers of tennis racquets). After the war, Nabilla was purchased by SA Marine & Harbours and it became the first tug to be stationed in Port Lincoln. It is now registered on the Australian Register of Historic Vessels. The grant was used to prepare and paint the vessel and its display cradle and to replace its deteriorating exposed timbers.
This grant contributed to the preservation of the Nautilus II, a multi-step Fauber type hydroplane, and the cradle supporting the vessel. Built in Melbourne in 1912 by H Maumill for Frank & Percy Cornwall, the Nautilus II was donated to the museum by Alan Chamberlain in 1978. The Nautilus II is the only vessel of its kind in Australia and one of only a handful remaining in the world. Its preservation helped the museum increase public knowledge of this area of seafaring history is limited and the significant role Australia played. The Nautilus II is listed on the Australian Register of Historic Vessels (ARHV Number: HV000078).
This grant assisted with a project to re-assemble and display the steam engines of the Lyttelton II engine room. A steam tug, the Lyttleton II was to be scrapped in 2006, despite the best efforts of several interest groups. MSTEC members acquired not only the engines, but the entire engine room. The overall project will continue for many years. This component involved the restoration,re-assembly and display of the engines only. The development and creation of signage and a video completed the display.
Two separate projects were carried out using this grant - the restoration of a 20 inch signal projector and the conservation of an important collection of uniforms, dating form the 1890s to the 1950s. A descriptive cataloguing was also produced, in preparation for the uniform collection to be displayed in a planned 2008/09 exhibition, 'Dressed for Service'.
The granted supported the conservation survey of flying boat engines (from Dornier & Catalina aircraft) involved in the Broome air-raid of March, 1942. This collaborative project was also assisted by the Australian War Memorial and the West Australian Maritime Museum.
This grant helped the society commissioned the Engineering Heritage Panel of Engineers Australia to obtain heritage listing status for the Arrol Crane and to develop a Conservation & Management Plan. The 1911 Arrol Crane is the last remaining of the four that were once used to load goods from railway wagons on to ships. Anecdotal reports suggest another crane can be found on the sea bed adjacent to the jetty. This ship loading crane is the oldest found in WA.
This project stabilised and preserved two significant pencil drawings of the Clarence River and Port of Grafton. The drawings, by Robert Issel Perrott, are dated 1868.
This grant contributed to the protection of the town's Flood Boat, a significant vessel.
A rare opaoltype portrait of George and Sarah Davidson, a prominent couple in the history of the local community and its whaling industry, was conserved with this grant. of the Eden whaling industry and local community. The conservation process involved mechanical cleaning, consolidation, reproduction and replacement of decorative mouldings of the frame, in addition to remounting the opalotype with archival quality materials.
An ongoing environmental monitoring project conducted continuous monitoring of temperature and humidity levels in key areas of the museum. Stage one of this project began with a MMAPSS grant in 2005/06.
Workshops to provide skills and empower volunteers to better manager, preserve and interpret the collections were hosted using this funding.
The grant allowed the museum to engage a consultant conservator to assess the state of the collections, examine storage conditions and prepare the collections for display in the new waterfront maritime heritage centre. The consultant also developed and implemented a collections management training program for volunteer staff members.
A display of fishing reels were conserved using this grant. The reels are of great value and importance to the collection and the angling history of Yamba between the 1930s and 1950s.
A special exhibition 'Bridges Across Time' was curated and timed to coincide with the official opening of the museum's new building by the Governor of Tasmania, the Honourable William Cox, in December 2006. The grant also funded the re-display of the propeller and shaft of the Merilyn (once the Sydney ferry Narrabeen), which had been moved to make way for the new building.
The procurement and installation of interpretive signage to the Bass & Flinders Walk was made possible with this grant.
An interpretative panel for the SV May Queen, an authentic floating exhibit of the Maritime Museum of Tasmania, was commissioned using this grant.
This grant contributed to the connection of electricity to Flinders Island's Emita Museum. It also assisted with urgent conservation work and the creation of a regulated environment to adequately preserve and display historical objects.
This project helped conserve a 19th-century whale-oil lamp, which was then install in the dining room of historic house Runnymede. The lamp is rare artefact (one of the few of its kind ever found in complete form), examplifies the main use of whale-oil during the period (i.e lighting). Previously on display in Old Government House, Sydney, the lamp was re-wired for operation by electricity before it was put in place in Runnymede.
This grant assisted with the underwater restoration of the Diamantina's hull, which was in need of urgent repair and preservation. The Diamantina spent eight years floating in dock without a proper protective paint scheme. At the time there was no means of removing the ship from the dock. Repairing the hull is part of a long term restoration project being carried out on the ship.
Using this grant, the Museum was able to conserve several outside display items; to recover, conserve and display a small inboard motor; and to recover and re-erect a lighthouse.
A permanent display called Hervey Bay - A Maritime Story was created using this grant. The display leads visitors to identified interpretive trails which highlight the historical and contemporary maritime significance of Hervey Bay.
The ANMM provided the Wooden Boat Association with expert advice relating to its restoration of the pearl lugger Antonia.
The grant was put towards the restoration of an Armfield 21-foot clinker boat.
To help preserve the launch Rio Rita, this grant was used to carry out necessary repairs on the vessel's timber work. Its floor boards and seating were also replaced and a weatherproof shelter was constructed over the vessel.
An exhibition that illustrated the techniques of River Murray shipbuilding and the history of the River Murray shipping trade was developed with this grant. The new exhibit was designed to enhance two exisiting exhibitions that interpret the 'Exploration of the River Preparatory' and the 'Commencement of Trade'.
This grant was used to fund the next stage of an ongoing project around the museum's John Weaver Collection. Stage three of the project saw a designer employed to plan the layout and display of the extensive collection.
An education officer from the ANMM visited the Whyalla Maritime Museum to inspect the facilities and collection and advise on the development of an educational program.
A qualified photograph conservator was engaged to work on 38 photographs in the collection. The photographs were also digitised and registered to a database for ease of access for the public.
This grant assisted with the full restoration and renovation of one of the oldest remaining Victorian Barracouta boats, Viator. Constructed by J.R. Jones of Williamstown in the early part of this century, the vessel is of national significance. The restoration was undertaken by Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum's shipwright apprentice, under the guidance of a Master shipwright.
This funding assisted with the conservation of signal flags and the implementation of preventative conservation measures to protect the flag lockers and the signal station.
A suitably qualified person was appointed to work with museum staff, preparing a detailed inventory and a catalogue of artefacts in accordance with industry best practice.
This grant assisted with the design and installation of a Cultural Heritage Walk Trail along the length of Busselton Jetty, incorporating introductory signage and a series of brass plaques with information, stories and sketches portraying its rich history over the past 140 years.
The museum sought a computer and scanner to produce fact sheets, school excursion projects and other information services for visitors, and provide the museum administration with effective internet and email access. ANMM provided a computer from its own inventory, allowing the Ballina museum to procure a high-quality scanner.
The grant employed a professional conservator to conduct training sessions in conservation techniques. Volunteers and staff put their newly acquired skills to work conserving the collection's photographs and glass plate negatives from the late 19th century and early 20th century.
The grant assisted with the collection, interpretation and presentation of materials detailing the history of the much-loved, New Zealand-designed 'trailer sailers'. The Hartley TS 16 was the first 'do-it-yourself' small plywood sailing yacht available in Australia. It was affordable for average wage earners and easy to assemble in the backyard. The association has over 300 members and their yachts attract great interest when displayed at the ANMM's Classic & Wooden Boat Festivals.
Expert consultants were engaged to review the environment in the museum complex's storage and exhibition spaces and suggest methods for improvement. The consultants also detailed requirements and specifications for future additions to the museum complex.
The grant enabled the museum to purchase a scanner and computer to create high quality, large-size digital prints of its collection of historic photographs and negatives. The copies were then displayed and the delicate originals preserved and archived.
The grant allowed the QMM to establish an accessible database of its comprehensive and widely-used collection, which was established in 1979.
The grant funded the purchase of equipment to digitally scan original historic photographs and create reproductions using archival paper and inks. The high-resolution copies were then displayed and the valuable originals were suitably stored to ensure their conservation and preservation.
The grant assisted with the cataloguing of a large collection of memorabilia that belonged to riverboat captain John Weaver. The mementoes form the basis of an exhibition and book which will allow others a privileged and genuine insight into riverboat life along the Murray.
The museum used this grant to fund the preparation and installation of an interpretive sign for an outdoor exhibit, built around a heritage anchor recovered from the northern Spencer Gulf (50 kilometres south of Whyalla) in the 1980s. The 19th-century anchor recalls the era of frequent international shipping in the area and is the only significant anchor of the period to be recovered.
The grant was used to purchase protective storage solutions for various off-display collections, archives and donated items. The storage solutions not only house the materials more efficiently, they also aid long-term conservation and access. The Surfworld Surfing Museum is recognised as the largest surfing and beach culture museum in the world and also houses the Australian Surfing Hall of Fame.
The funding enabled the society to preserve the remnants of a skiff that belonged to work sculling champion, Henry Searle. Sculling was a very popular professional sport during the 19th century and Searle was one of several heroes bred on the northern rivers of NSW. World Champion in 1889, Searle made headlines as 'The Invincible Oarsman' and the 'The Clarence Comet'. He died of fever at age 23.
This grant contributed to efforts to research and document the sailing club's history, which has been traced back to the 1890s. The history project involved collecting oral history stories from club members and assembling a digital collection of club images. The culmination will be a book about the club and the 12-foot skiff class - a distinctive racing type which has evolved into a high-tech, two-hander raced competitively today.
The grant assisted with the conservation and display of a collection of 223 watercolour paintings depicting marine life with notes on the appearance, habitat and feeding habits of each species. Dated 1899, 1905 and 1908, the watercolours are the work of an unknown artist ('JTP'), and were captured in Queensland, NSW and some Pacific islands. They were donated to the society after being found in the estate of the late Frank O'Grady, owner of Yamba's Pacific Hotel.
Funding allowed the society to design and construct a mount for the display of a pre-1936 carvel-built river skiff. Boats such as this were used from the time of early settlement on the Tweed and surrounding rivers for fishing and as a form of transport, as there were no roads.
This grant funded the registration and conservation of a collection of 77 silk regatta programs. Hobart's regatta was inaugurated in 1838 with racing whale boats and by the early 1900s was 'the greatest aquatic carnival South of the Line'. It celebrated the local anniversary of Abel Tasman's discovery of the island in 1642. Ornate silk programs, dating back to the mid-19th century, were used to detail the equally elaborate events that were a theatrical feature of Hobart's regattas.
This grant assisted with the conservation of a Hayles glass bottom boat. Designed and built in the early 1950s by the Hayles family, this once ubiquitous model was an important tool in marketing and developing tourism in tropical Australia. It allowed literally thousands of mainly Australian tourists to view coral reefs off Green Island up until the 1980s and is the only known example that remains in Cairns.
The Maritime Museum of Townsville was granted $2,000 to fund the assessment, development and implementation of a management program for its important photographic collection. The grant covered the costs of a complete audit, cataloguing, preventative conservation appraisal, volunteer and curator training.
The museum was able to restore an ex-RAN Montague whaler to working order, for display and demonstration sailing use. The vessel, a cutter used for transport and seamanship training, is the only working example of an ex-navy whaler in the state.
This grant enabled the conservation of a collection of maritime photographs that are believed to be unique. The images, dating from 1890, depict the Echuca Wharf, paddlesteamers and boats built in the town, the rail bridge and street scenes, children and adults outside The Sawmill Sunday School, and PS Marion passing through Torrumbarry Loch in 1939. Most of the photographs were donated by community members.
The grant assisted with the preservation and cataloging of the W G Volum Collection, donated in 2000. The estimated 12,000 photographs of 19th- and 20th-century British- and Australian-built ships illustrate changes in Australian shipping, trade, naval history and migration from the 1860s to 1980s. They include 600 photographs from the second half of the 19th century, of early steam ships in the Port of Geelong - once the wool capital of Australia and a busier port than Melbourne.
Albany Maritime Foundation developed a maritime heritage gallery within the Albany Boat Shed, using this grant to create displays recording the history of several prominent boating/fishing families from the Southern Ocean port, which is known as the home of Australia's last whaling station.
Broome Historical Society put this grant towards conservation work and digitisation of the Pearling Master's Register N-Z. This important historical document, a key primary resource relating to Broome's pearling history, was taken to Perth where each page was copied, conserved and returned as close as possible to its original form. The original was then stored safely and the copy made available to the public.
The grant funded the construction of exhibition display cases for an archival collection relating to the development of the surf lifesaving movement, and technological advances in rescue systems and equipment. More efficient design, better lighting and environmental control, in addition to attractive mounting, greatly improved the impact of the display and its contributon to the club's community education program.
The grant assisted with a long-term preservation, planning and material protection project for this museum's collection of maps, diaries, navigation reports and items from the early settlement of Clarence Town (where colonial Australia's first ocean-going steamship was built in 1831).
The museum employed a conservator to work with the Wiradjuri bark canoe in its care, and provide interpretation labels in preparation for a planned public display. In addition to conserving the collection relating to the Murrumbigee River, the project provided a benchmark for the care of Indigenous cultural material at community museums in rural NSW.
The Runnymede Committee was awarded this grant to restore a circa 1873 oil painting of the whaleship Solar Globe by R B Spencer. The painting is one Runnymede's collection of seven oils of ships, once owned by the Tasmanian Bayley brothers. Most were painted by Spencer and all bar the Solar Globe are in sound condition. The restoration added to the historic house museum experience and contributed to the area's maritime heritage.
A public education program for the Tasmanian yacht Terra Linna was developed using this grant. The Terra Linna, a Huon pine yacht built around 1880, is a rare example of local design. The award funded the services of a writer, web designer, graphic designer and educator, and also paid for the design and construction of a model and the printing of exhibition posters and brochures. The completed education package is hosted on the Tasmanian Maritime Museum website.
This grant allowed for the digitisation of an important collection of marine archives, dealing specifically with South Australian shipping incidents from 1837 to 1899. The extensive collection of documents and photographs was at risk of physical degradation, and conversion to electronic form was need to preserve the materials for use by archaeological and genealogical researchers. The archiving work was carried out by students from the school and related to areas of the curriculum.
The grant funded a preservation survey and collection assessment plus training and advice on the conservation of the society's photography collection, which relates to riverboats and barges. Many of the photographs are rare and a source of research material available nowhere else. As many were also in a fragile condition and stored elsewhere, the grant ensure preservation and accessibility.
This grant enable worksheets on an extensively researched collection of lifeboat and rocket rescue artefacts to be transferred to a catalogue database with photographs. The project greatly improved access for PFHLS volunteers, museums and the public.
Oral histories of those who made significant contributions to the riverboat trade and to the historic port of Echuca from 1850 to the present were collected using this grant. The interviews were made available to the public on disc and through the authority's website.
The Citidal Island lighthouse mantle was restored using this funding. The 1913 lighthouse, in the Glennie group of islands off the southern end of Wilsons Promontory, was the first to be constructed by the Commonwealth Lighthouse Service. The restored mantle complements other significant Bass Strait lighthouse material already on display.
The grant funded the engagement of a mentor for a 10 month period, to develop policies and oversee the work of volunteers in cataloguing the vast number of historic artefacts owned by the Port of Echuca Authority.
A dehumidifier to help prevent deterioration of paper documents and charts relating to the Corner Inlet area was installed with this grant money. The museum's proximity to seawater, the climate, and storage in an old building placed the documents at high risk of deterioration. The grant enable the preservation of these valuable records of the navigation practices of past eras.
The grant was used to develop a public interpretation program for the replica of the Batavia longboat. It covered the research and design costs for three plaques which tell the story of the shipwreck of the Dutch East Indiaman vessel Batavia off WA in 1629, the subsequent voyage by the ship's longboat to Batavia in the Dutch East Indies, and the building of the replica. The plaques are accessible to visually impaired visitors; a 'first' for cultural heritage signage in Geraldton. They were also made demountable so they can be moved and displayed at other venues.
The club was able to digitise an archival collection and thus make available photographs and documents not previously accessible to the public. The digitised material was then used to mount a permanent interpretive display in the club's main hall.
The grant was used for the conservation and display of the fishing launch Ninon, built 1911. Interpretation linked the shipbuilding, tourism and fishing industries in Jervis Bay and increased awareness of the importance of boat building in Australia's maritime history.
The award funded a custom-built display case to exhibit items of local significance, including the binnacle of the navy tug HMAS Waree. It also allowed the society to purchase polypropylene albums for the stability and protection of a collection of original maritime photographs.
The grant assisted with conservation and exhibition of material from six wrecks, which were then displayed for the first time in the foyer of the organisation's new building at Inveresk. The conservation and documentation of the materials increased opportunities for loans and also increased public exposure, as the materials were featured on the museum website.
This funding was used to facilitate public access to the Bay Rock Lighthouse and provide facilities for internal and external interpretation using material held in the Museum. The grant also helped to increase knowledge of the lighthouse's history after the Museum advertised the project in the press and received feedback and information from the community.
Used to preserve a collection of historic photographs relating to the history of fishing and coastal trading at Kingston, which in turn helped record local industry. The photographs were stored electronically and copies displayed.
This grant enabled research into changing fishing methods and the impact of technological devices on Beachport and its industries. The museum then began to develop a series of displays exploring the changes, to form part of the Coastal Heritage Trail.
The award funded the creation of a map of wreck sites of paddlesteamers and barges from Torrumbarry to Barmah, which was then used to inform an exhibition about wrecks of the Murray River. A hands-on display enhanced audience experience and participation.
The grant funded the development of a multimedia program which both completed the museum's exhibitions on maritime heritage and aimed to inform a wider audience of the daily hazards of shipping in the notorious Port Phillip Heads and the Rip area.
The grant went towards recording the restoration of the Port Fairy Lifeboat, an important mid-19th century vessel of unusual construction. Guidelines to assist future small boat restoration projects throughout Australia were developed during the process.
The museum developed an interactive learning program which included student activity sheets, interactive presentation videos, online work sheets, lesson plans and historical information.
The grant helped develop a Cape Byron light station maritime museum, establishing an interpretative display of heritage artefacts (acquired with a 1999/2000 MMAPSS grant) in the southern room of the lighthouse.
A diving outfit which includes a Siebe diving helmet, canvas suit and hand pump was preserved with this grant. Such pieces of early diving equipment were used in wharf and bridge construction, and when laying water mains across the river.
The grant funded the stabilisation and preservation of an original map of the Clarence River, dated between 1891 and 1896. An important local history resource, the map details river ports, boundaries and ownership of the land, and the course of the navigable river for approximately 50 miles.
The museum collated and preserved a collection of old maritime history films by professional film makers. Subjects include South Solitary Island in the 1930s, the port, timber, shipping and maritime matters.
The grant was used for the conservation and preservation copying of a journal about the Dominican Sisters' voyage to Australia on the Martha Birnie in 1867. Photographs were prepared for exhibition along with a kit to enhance the story telling was developed. The conserved diary was copied and transcribed onto CDs for preservation, exhibition and presentations.
The funding was used to manage and display the museum's collection of naval artefacts. The conservation and storage needs of this collection of RAN and RN memorabilia was assessed, and an exhibition space devoted to naval history, with emphasis on links to the Illawarra region, was established.
The museum restored the MV Goniemah, a 10.97 m (36 ft) timber launch built in 1948, with a view to it returning to full operation in a NSW Waterways survey. Review of the hull, cabins, mechanical and electric systems determined the scope of preservation needed.
The grant helped preserve, display and provide greater access to the artefacts, photographs and newspaper clippings of the maritime collection, which covers an important period of Lismore's history. An interpretative display featuring the Port of Lismore and use of Wilsons River was developed.
The grant was used to develop access prints for the fleet's glass plate negative collection, depicting the 19th- and 20th-century sailing ships and Burns Philp ships that were involved in plantation operations. The photos were printed to facilitate cataloguing and research. The project helped preserve the glass plates, as their exposure to damage by handling was limited.
The grant contributed to the complete refurbishment of the original Mersey Maritime Board Signal Station, which played an important role in the development of the port of Devonport. The funding helped provide interpretative signage and paid for the development of an education kit.
Access to and storage of 100 ship models was made possible with this grant. Work included researching, documentatng and photographing the models, which wass all done in an area visible to the public. After a conservation workshop for volunteers, the collection was stored.
An illustrated guide book, Runnymede's Maritime Heritage was developed to document the maritime components of the collection in this heritage house. The third owner of Runnymede, a substantial c1840 Georgian home, was a prominent master mariner and whaler, Captain Charles Bayley, who named the residence after one of his whaling vessels.
Access to the ship model collection was improved with this grant. The access project involved documenting and digitally recording the collection, making the collection database available via the internet, improving storage conditions and increasing staff and volunteer conservation skills.
The grant was awarded to research and record information on Terra Linna, a Huon pine yacht built and designed locally in 1880. The project produced interpretative information which was handed over to the Maritime Museum of Tasmania for the benefit of the community.
The grant enabled the restoration of the 1910 wooden riverboat Lotus, which was built in Goolwa as a family pleasure boat and working vessel. It moved small sheep and cattle barges around the property and once served as a hearse for its owner.
The museum restored the fishing vessel Valkyrie, one of the oldest surviving sea-going wooden boats in SA. The Valkyrie worked until 1998 and represents an important part of the state's maritime history. The vessel was purchased for an exhibition honouring the skills of ordinary seamen, the fishing industry and the boat building craft.
The society developed an education resource for secondary schools in the Greater Bunbury district. The resource materials were designed to raise awareness of the Bunbury Timber Jetty (a section of which is re-opened to the public), increase its public profile, encourage community 'ownership' and recruit volunteers to assist with its restoration.
The museum produced an educational package about the Cheynes Beach Whaling Station, which was the last commercial whaling operation in Australia until it closed in 1978. Whaleworld has more than 4,000 students visiting each year and the education package aimed to enhance their experience and be made available online, to students and teachers worldwide.
The grant was used to build a cradle support, safety viewing rail and signage for MV Beardmore. These measures were needed to help protect and preserve the vessel (a significant historical item associated with the local sugar cane industry) while allowing access for public viewing.
The society purchased archival materials including polyester film, Mylar double-sided tape and Velcro for the preservation and display of its historical photograph collection.
The display area in the museum's new location was improved using this grant, which provided for the . the recently re-opened museum in its conservation of a McGregor House flag and a C D Gregory watercolour painting, Under Former Colours.
Through Maryborough City Council, the Bond Store Museum was granted $2,500 to produce an education kit for children and young adults and a promotional brochure for teachers. These materials enhanced the Museum experience for its young visitors.
The grant assisted with the redevelopment of Kingston Museum's commercial fishing exhibition. It aided oral history research into the fishing industry and the development of a display and database.
The funding went towards labour and materials for restoration of the lifeboat Queenscliffe, which played an important role in southern Port Philip from 1926 to 1976.
The awarded funded the services of an accredited historian to research colonial and Victorian naval and maritime history from the 1800s to the present. The documentation that resulted was used to develop a publication.
This grant funded a conservation plan to guide the restoration, interpretation and exhibition of the Kormoran lifeboat - one of the boats which carried survivors ashore in 1941. Its display will help visitors interpret the mystery of the HMAS Sydney/Kormoran.
The grant was used for the research, identification and acquisition of archival material relating to Cape Byron light station.
The paintings in the society's collection were professionally restored and reframed and the photography collection was digitally recorded.
The museum was able to conserve and re-erect a shore-based crane.
The management and storage of the island's maritime heritage collection was enhanced using this funding.
The grant assisted with the cost of printing an updated catalogue for the Leonard E Forsythe Maritime Museum.
The association used this grant for the preservation and presentation of ex-naval engines.
The conservation, display, design and management of major artefacts in its collection was secured with this grant.
The grant was used to pack and store photographic items in the museum's collection.
A detailed plan for the complete restoration of the trading ketch Reginald M was developed with this grant.
A conservation plan for the lifeboat Queenscliffe was prepared using this grant money.
Exhibitions to display the development and use of radio and radar at sea were curated with this grant.
The grant assisted with cataloguing the museum's collection.
A purpose-designed area within the museum was built to display Fleet Air Arm History. The grant allowed for the exhibition of aviation artefacts and paintings in a display of Naval Aviation heritage from 1916 to the present day.
A conservation plan for the preservation of the fishing launch Ninon, built by Joseph Dent at Huskisson, Jervis Bay in 1911, was prepared using this grant. The process included photographing, measuring and preparing line drawings of the vessel as well as devising a protection system and collecting a photographic, documentary and oral history of the vessel and its work life.
The historic Lord Howe Island clinker work boat was restored for permanent display. A local shipwright was commissioned to refasten planking, re-paint and re-rig the vessel in accordance with period photographic evidence.
The QMM used this grant to research and record the story of one of its vessels, the HMAS Diamantina. Materials held in the Museum as well as ships logs and information in Australian archives, were used to research the ship itself, its builders and crew. A booklet on the history of the HMAS Diamantina was also produced.
The museum restored the crew's mess deck aboard HMAS Whyalla. The program includes restoration of photographs, display of artefacts including hammocks, duffel bags and other equipment, construction of mess deck lockers and improving interpretative material.
The Living History Education Program was developed by a specialist, in line with current education standards.
A qualified boat-builder was engaged to measure and draw the plans of the historic Port Fairy Lifeboat. The mid-19th century vessel was restored to operating condition as a community project. The plans assisted a nearby community that had also undertaken a conservation project on a similar lifeboat.
A conservation management plan for paddlesteamer Gem, a vessel of national significance in relation to the Murray River, was undertaken with this funding. A consultant prepared the conservation plan in accordance with ICOMOS Charter and guidelines.
Following a previous MMAPSS grant to assist with the relocation of the Portland lifeboat to the new Maritime Discovery Centre, this funding was used to design and construct interpretive displays around the vessel. The Portland lifeboat and the Port Fairy lifeboat are believed to be the oldest surviving Australian wooden vessels.
The museum undertook a project to educate and raise awareness about Zuytdorp, a shipwreck of national significance. A small exhibition was developed for local and touring display. A brochure about the wreck and its conservation was also produced.
A beautifully illustrated, illuminated address, which was presented to Thomas R Allt, Chairman of the North Coast Steam Navigation Company c1890, was preserved. This rare object has strong local historical significance as a reminder of the coastal trade that flourished on the north coast of New South Wales last century.
A comprehensive survey of the museum's unique collection to enhance levels of documentation and storage was undertaken. In addition, volunteers were professionally trained to assess the collection's condition and perform the collection cataloguing function.
The grant established a collection management strategy for the archaeological and historical material held in the Emita Museum. The Furneaux Islands of eastern Bass Strait are littered with shipwrecks dating back 200 years and the Emita Museum (on Flinders Island) includes material on these and the local shipping, fishing and mutton-birding industries. A 1995 MMAPSS grant was used to connect electricity to the museum.
The grant was used to develop an education program to support a proposed temporary exhibition for the fiftieht anniversary of The Last Grain Race - the end of the era of vast commercial windjammers from Europe.
Conservation-standard storage areas for the museum's large and varied collection were constructed with this grant. Surfworld houses a comprehensive collection of surfboards from 1915 to the present, a significant photographic collection by Jack Eden and a wide variety of objects reflecting Australian surf culture, fashion, music and film.
An illustrated booklet for interpreting PS Gem, the largest paddlesteamer to work the Murray-Darling river system, was produced. Built in 1877 and lengthened in 1882, PS Gem continued to operate as a trading and passenger vessel until the late 1910s. Of the surviving riverboats built in the 19th century, PS Gem reflects the optimistic heyday of the riverboat period.
This grant was used to commission a professional conservation standard display system for the historic lifeboat, one of the oldest surviving examples of colonial boatbuilding.
Original pictorial catch charts of humpback and sperm whales, kept by the Cheyenes Beach Whaling Company, were conserved using this grant, which also covered the purchase of archival materials and museum-standard display frames. Cheyeness Beach was the last land-based whaling station in the southern hemisphere. It operated between 1952 and 1978.
An action plan for a heritage trail along the Darling River was developed. The trail includes Aboriginal canoe trees, the Brewarrina rock fisheries, 1883 river bridge, 1897 lock and weir, 1900 maritime courthouse and river steamer wharf.
An education program for local schools (geared to the NSW primary school curricula) was developed. Program components included tours and work sheets, an activity centre, pre- and post-visit activities and interactives.
The grant was used for the restoration of a ship's deckhouse from the 1880s as a 'hands-on' museum display. The living quarters for three crew members comprised bunks, lockers and a mess table. As an interactive addition to the museum, the deckhouse gave visitors an appreciation of the life of an ordinary seaman aboard a 19th-century merchant vessel.
A new exhibition, reinterpreting the extensive museum collection, was developed with this grant. Themes included crossing the Derwent River, the Port of Hobart and the sea-roads of the south-eastern Tasmanian coastal communities.
This grant enabled the MAGNT to produce an illustrated catalogue of its collection of canoes and other small watercraft. The catalogue features both line drawings and colour photographs of each vessel, as well as accompanying text. Research into the collection was incorporated in ANMM's Australian Register of Historic Vessels.
The grant went towards the restoration of working boat Untama, a gaff-rigged sloop built by Goolwa shipwrights in 1937. An interpretive program about boatbuilding methods was also developed for the local community and visitors.
Museum volunteers were trained in collection management using this grant. It also allowed the museum to purchase conservation materials for the safe storage of paper-based items in its collection.
An easily-accessible computer database for more efficient management of the museum's diverse collection was established using this grant. Volunteers were professionally trained to use the system. The project was also supported by the Ian Potter Foundation.
Stage one of a restoration project for the lifeboat Queenscliffe, a historic vessel of great significance to the communities surrounding Port Phillip Bay, was undertaken with this grant, which allowed for the purchase of materials to build a steel support cradle.
The foundation produced an education kit, including a manual for teachers and a video, about the first recorded European ship to sight Australia in 1606, the VOC ship Duyfken. The kit includes information on Dutch shipbuilding, navigation at the time, and the diet and health of the crew on board the Duyfken.
The museum preserved more than 150 original documents kept by the Cheynes Beach Whaling Company (the last land-based whaling station in the southern hemisphere) and purchased archival materials and museum-standard storage facilities.
A comprehensive survey, conservation treatment and preservation plan relating to a collection of watercolours by marine artist Samuel Elyardby was undertaken by a professional conservator.
A database for the Norfolk Island photographic collection was developed using this grant. The database could be used as an interactive in the Sirius Maritime Museum and to assist with the dissemination of historic maritime information throughout Australia.
The grant assisted with the restoration of the century-old wooden ketch Hecla, a type of commercial transport once common in South Australian waters. The grant also allowed for the construction of a steel cradle to support the vessel.
The grant money allowed the museum's collection to be displayed and interpreted for the community.
This grant enabled the museum to implement an educational program about South Australian shipwrecks and maritime archaeology, and make it available to museums throughout Australia.
The grant assisted with the design, development and installation of an interpretive display of the museum's collection, with emphasis on the economic importance of the boatbuilding industry to the region.
As part of the 'Down the Rivers' conservation project Echuca Historical Society had a fabric River Chart dated 1877 and an 1874 Map of Echuca conserved by a qualified conservator. Storage units to suit the objects were built and a section of the chart was copied onto fabric for exhibition purposes.
This grant was used to support the restoration and preservation of key Surfworld Museum artefacts in the permanent collection.
This grant assisted with the restoration of Titipan, an ex-Indonesian fishing prahu. The vessel forms part of an educational display about the history of Indonesian fishing voyages to Australia.
Review the terms and conditions for The Maritime Museums of Australia Project Support Scheme (MMAPSS).
The Maritime Museums of Australia Project Support Scheme (MMAPSS) is a joint program of the Australian National Maritime Museum and the Australian Government through the Ministry for the Arts.
Funding is dependent on annual budgetary allocations. Subject to this, MMAPSS will provide grants for up to $10,000 for approved projects related to:
These grants are for projects capable of completion and acquittal by 30 June in the year after the grant has been awarded. The annual timetable for the program is generally:
All maritime museums legally incorporated as non-profit making bodies, whether privately or government funded, will be eligible to receive grants under the scheme. This may include institutions not identifying themselves as maritime museums in their title yet, which preserve and display significant amounts of maritime material. Joint applications from two or more eligible institutions are welcome. Institutions may submit more than one application, please note however that each institution is only eligible for one MMAPSS project grant per year.
An independent committee comprising representatives from the Australian National Maritime Museum and an independent advisor from the maritime heritage community will assess the applications. The assessment of applications will encompass:
In all publications, promotional materials and activities relating to the project, the recipient shall acknowledge the financial support it has received from the commonwealth in the following form:
Grants are for a maximum of $10,000, although submissions for smaller amounts are considered. Applicants may be awarded an amount less than that applied for. MMAPSS funding may be allocated to augment funding from other sources, including sponsorship.
Funding for projects will be awarded to cover approximately a 12 month period from July to June the following year.
If you have any questions about the Maritime Museums of Australia Project Support Scheme please contact the MMAPSS coordinator:
On the Waterfront
Extended to 6:00 pm in January
Last boarding time for Submarine and Tall Ships – 4.10pm
Closed Christmas Day 25 December.
+61 2 9298 3777
Sign up to our newsletters
© Copyright 2013
Australia National Maritime Museum
Every day 9.30 am - 5 pm
Extend to 6.00 pm in January
Closed Xmas Day 25 Dec.
2 Murrey Street
sydney NSW 2000, AU
+61 2 9298 3777