What to expect?
Endeavour is a three-watch sailing vessel, as voyage crew, you will participate in the 24-hour ship's routine under the guidance of our professional crew. The food is hearty and spirits are high, especially during our traditional mess deck dinner and sod's opera (crew variety show).
No experience is necessary however all Voyage Crew Participants must have a keen sense of adventure and be:
- aged 16 years or over (16-18 yrs must be accompanied by an adult)
- physically fit and able to be a member of the sailing crew
- willing and able to climb up to 43M
- able to swim or confident to tread water
- meet the medical criteria of the voyage
- agree to the code of conduct /terms and conditions of the voyage
Read our FAQs to find out more
Please note that while every effort is made to follow the above voyage plans, the decision to proceed with the program remains with the Master and depends on the weather
HMB Endeavour operates around the Australian coast and at times international waters and may sometimes be away from immediate medical support (the ship’s crew are fully trained in marine first aid). The voyage programme can at times be mentally and physically demanding with activities including sailing and climbing and at time in adverse weather conditions. The sleeping and living quarters are cramped and as voyaging crew you will need to take part in the night watch roster.
Please consider if any of the following conditions apply to you, before proceeding with your booking.
- Heart condition
- Physical impediment
- Experience of mental and emotional distress
A Medical Clearance Form will be sent to your email after we receive you have filled in our Expression of Interest online form. You will need to have the Medical Clearance Form completed by a registered doctor in your country of residence and email it back to the Endeavour Voyaging Team who will then review your application. An offer will be made if we are satisfied that you are fit and able to undertake the voyage.
Upon confirmation, you will be sent an email that will provide details of how to pay the $500 deposit to secure your booking. Full (non- refundable) payment for your voyage will be required within four weeks of receiving your deposit. It is compulsory for you to take out full travel insurance when booking a voyage.
- For your application to voyage on the HMB Endeavour replica to be considered, and for an offer to be made, you must declare any known illnesses or medical conditions you may have, and must prove by the certification by a qualified medical practitioner that you are fit and able to undertake the voyage.
- An offer will only be made if the Master is satisfied that you are fit and able to undertake the voyage that you have applied to undertake.The Master’s decision is final.
- As a member of the unpaid crew, the Voyage Crew, or as a passenger, ie, a Supernumerary, by boarding the vessel and undertaking a voyage, you will be deemed to be undertaking a recreational activity, ie, an activity engaged in for enjoyment, relaxation or leisure.
- HMB Endeavour is an accurate replica of the 18th century vessel that Captain James Cook commanded during his 1st voyage of exploration including the charting of New Zealand and the East coast of Australian in 1769 and 1770 respectively,
- As an accurate replica, particularly in respect to the rigging, sails, and related fit out, operating at sea in all conditions, means that when you are on-board you will be exposed to range of obvious and inherent risks that may result in personal injury or death.
- By agreeing to these terms and conditions, and indicating such by signing below, you are acknowledging that you will be willingly undertaking a dangerous recreational activity and that you are aware of and understand the obvious and inherent risks that you will be exposed to.
- If you are aged between 16 and 18 your parent or legal guardian must acknowledge and agree to these terms and conditions on your behalf.
- Therefore, to the extent permitted by the Civil Liabilities Act 2002 (NSW), the Australian National Maritime Museum, its employees, and agents, shall not be liable for any claims, losses, damages, injuries, costs and expenses incurred, (including to indirect or consequential), as a result of, or connected to you boarding the HMB Endeavour replica, undertaking a voyage, and participating in any related activities.
- Full payment of the voyage fee is due within 1 week of receiving confirmation that your application to undertake a voyage on the HMB Endeavour replica has been successful.If payment has not been received in this time the ANMM reserves the right to offer the berth to another applicant.Payment can be made by EFT or credit card.
- Your offer of a berth for a voyage on the HMB Endeavour replica is not transferable, and no part of the voyage fee will be refunded if you choose not to complete a voyage, or part thereof, within one week of the scheduled departure.
- The Master, and/or the ANMM may at its sole, and absolute, discretion cancel or curtail a voyage for reasons of adverse weather conditions or otherwise to ensure the safety of the HMB Endeavour replica and its crew.
- If the voyage is cancelled before the scheduled date of sailing you will be entitled to a refund of the voyage fee.If the voyage is curtailed you may be entitled to a part refund of an amount equivalent to the fee for the part of the voyage not completed.
- The ANMM will not be liable for any other costs caused by delay, cancellation, curtailment of the scheduled voyage.
- As a member of the Voyage Crew, or as a Supernumerary, you must be on the wharf alongside the HMB Endeavour replica on the scheduled commencement date of your voyage, in accordance with your joining instructions, at least one hour before the scheduled joining time.
- The departure of the vessel will not be delayed due to the late arrival of one or members of the Voyage Crew, and there will be no refund of the voyage fee to any member of the Voyage Crew or a Supernumerary that, due to any reason, arrives on the wharf after the vessel has sailed.
- In consideration of the above terms, it is a requirement, and condition of the offer a berth, that you have taken out sufficient travel insurance for the voyage and have adequate cover for death, or any illness, injury or loss you that you may suffer during the voyage, and for any costs you may incur as a consequence of a delay, cancellation or curtailment of the voyage by the Master and/or the ANMM, or as a consequence of your failure to board the vessel at the scheduled time.
- Tobacco products and alcohol are prohibited and are not allowed on-board the vessel.Prescription drugs are permitted on condition they are declared.
- High heels, and other inappropriate clothing for sailing and participating in related activities on-board are not permitted.
- The Master has the right to refuse access to the HMB Endeavour replica, or to remove from the vessel, any member of the Voyage Crew, or a Supernumerary, at his sole and absolute discretion if he forms the view that their actions, or behaviours, may jeopardise the safety of the vessel and crew, and/or the enjoyment of voyage by the crew,
- If you are a member of the Voyage Crew, you are classified as a sail trainee, and acknowledge and agree to this classification by signing below.
- As a sail trainee you will be required to undergo an induction and familiarisation programme in accordance with the HMB Endeavour replica’s safety management system, and once completed you will be required to actively participate, and contribute, to the safe operation and sailing of the vessel, at all hours of the day, including keeping watch, setting and taking in sails, and changing the set and trim of the sails to match the prevailing weather conditions.
- If you are on-board as a Supernumerary you may participate in the operation and sailing of the vessel if you elect to do such and advise the Master of the extent to which you wish to participate, and he agrees to allow you to do such.
- If you should have an accident on-board, and suffer an injury as a consequence, or are ill, you, by agreeing to these terms and conditions, unequivocally and irrevocably authorise the Master to take the actions and measures he deem necessary to ensure your health and safety, including evacuation in the event of a medical emergency.
- Voyage Crew and Supernumeraries may be filmed or photographed during the voyage.The ANMM reserves the right to use or reproduce such film or photographs for museum related purposes without notification, their approval, or provision of any form of compensation, including payment.
- You are required, at all times, when on-board, to obey any reasonable request or direction given by the Master of a member of the Professional crew.
- By signing this form, Terms and Conditions for Voyaging, you agree to adhere and comply with all of the above terms and conditions.
Contact the Endeavour office with your enquiries:
Phone: +61 2 8241 8323