This information outlines:
- your legal obligations when using this website, and
- our legal obligations in protecting your privacy.
Using this website
The museum aims to create a positive environment where people are able to publicly contribute their views to the consultation forum in this website without fear of abuse or harassment or exposure to offensive or otherwise inappropriate content.
Forum comments should be made in the spirit of improving government policy, or sharing relevant stories and information. An Acceptable Use Policy exists to protect the operators of the consultation forum from legal liability.
When contributing your views to the consultation forum, please ensure that you:
- do protect your personal privacy and that of others by not including names, email addresses, private addresses or phone numbers in your posts;
- do post material to the forum that is relevant to the issues currently being consulted on; and
- do represent your own views and not impersonate or falsely represent any other person.
When contributing views to the consultation forum:
- do not be abusive, harass or threaten others;
- do not make defamatory or libellous comments;
- do not use insulting, provocative or hateful language;
- do not use obscene or offensive language;
- do not post material to the forum that infringes the intellectual property rights of others;
- do not post multiple versions of the same view to the forum;
- do not promote commercial interests in your posts to the forum; and
- do not include internet addresses, websites links, or email addresses in your contribution.
- The privacy of your personal information is important to us and your name, contact details and other information will not be provided to any other person or organisation without your knowledge and consent
- Please contact us to update your details if your name, address or phone number changes
- You may request that your details are removed from our database and mailing lists at any time
Collection of personal information via our website
Forms within this website record information from your details in clearly labelled fields, including name and contact details. This information is stored in secure museum databases and will be used solely by the relevant museum staff for its intended purpose, as stated on those pages.
If you contact a member of staff using an email link from this website, your email address will be used only to reply to you and will not be added to a mailing list or disclosed to a third party without your prior consent. No personal information sent by you, when you contact us or if you fill in our on-line forms, is published on our website.
Any names and email addresses of museum staff appearing on this website are provided with the knowledge and assent of each staff member.
Email newsletter lists
We will use the information you have provided to send you regular email updates about our exhibitions and events if you have subscribed to an email newsletter.
We will always offer you an opportunity to unsubscribe or opt-out of communications sent by the Australian National Maritime Museum and will ensure your details are excluded from all internal marketing lists and future campaigns.
Information and contact details supplied to us by email, or through online forms are protected from unauthorised access over the internet by the same security systems that protect our internal networks and databases. These include firewall technology.
If you are concerned about security of transmission we will accept your information by mail, telephone or facsimile, at the numbers and addresses listed here.
Our web server makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes: your server address, top-level domain name (.com, .gov, .edu, .au), the date and time of your visit to our site, pages accessed, documents downloaded, previous site visited, and the type of browser used. No additional cookies are employed.
We will not identify users of this website, or their browsing activities, to any unauthorised person unless lawfully directed to do so by an investigating agency with a valid warrant to inspect our server logs.
Copyright and our website
© Commonwealth of Australia 2006
You may download, display, print and reproduce material on this website in unaltered form only (retaining this notice) for your personal, non-commercial use, or for use within your organisation.
All other rights are reserved apart from any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, subsequent amendments or related legislation.
Requests for authorisation to reproduce copyright material should be directed to:
Phone: +61 2 9298 3647
Fax: +61 2 9298 3670
Address: 58 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009 Australia
The Australian National Maritime Museum has attempted to determine the owners of copyright material appearing on this website, and to secure permissions or licences to reproduce them. Please contact the publications manager if you believe that you have an interest in material appearing on this website.
Copyright and Flickr
The Australian National Maritime Museum joined Flickr Commons in 2008. All images from the museum's collection made available on Flickr Commons fall under the copyright category of 'no known copyright restrictions'.
This means that the museum is not aware of any copyright restriction on these photographs.
Users may download or print off these images for research, artistic or other personal use. If images are reproduced or distributed it is on the condition that they:
- are clearly attributed to the collection of the Australian National Maritime Museum;
- will not be used for any commercial or for-profit purposes without the permission of the Australian National Maritime Museum.
It is the museum's policy to charge usage fees for commercial exploitation of images in its collection, including the ones appearing on Flickr Commons. If you wish to obtain a higher-quality version of one or more of these images for any purpose including commercial and for-profit uses, please contact the museum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the museum cannot warrant that your use of these images may not infringe rights claimed by some third party as yet unknown.
Information on this website is provided as part of the Australian National Maritime Museum's statutory role in the dissemination of information relating to maritime history and heritage. Information on this site is:
- subject to the uncertainties of historical and related research and may not be accurate, current or complete;
- subject to change without notice;
- not a substitute for independent research and users should obtain any appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular interests;
- may include the views or recommendations of third parties which do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian National Maritime Museum.
Links to external web sitesLinks to external web sites do not constitute an endorsement or a recommendation of any material on those sites or of any third party products or services offered by, from or through those sites. The Australian National Maritime Museum has no direct control over the content of any linked sites, or the changes that may occur to the content on those sites. It is the responsibility of the user to make their own decisions about the accuracy, currency, reliability and correctness of information contained in linked external web sites.
Security risks and computer virusesThe World Wide Web operates across insecure, public networks. You assume all risks associated with use of the web site, including:
- risk of your computer, software or data being damaged by any virus, disabling codes, worms or other devices and defects which might be transmitted or activated via the website, or your access to it or the downloading of files from the web site;
- connections transmitted to and from this site being intercepted and modified by third parties.