Come aboard the James Craig – a true restoration of a majestic tall ship (not a replica).
It represents the great sailing vessels which moved produce from the emerging colonies and brought manufactured goods to our shores.
Rescued as a rusting wreck from Tasmania's Recherche Bay, James Craig is hailed as a model of sensitive, authentic conservation and a recognised symbol of heritage preservation. Learn about its full history at the Sydney Heritage Fleet website.
- There are only four 19th century barques left in the world capable of sailing. James Craig is the only one in the Southern Hemisphere and the only one which regularly carries the general public to sea.
- James Craig hoisted all of its 21 sails for the first time in nearly 80 years in 2001 and sailed through Sydney Heads. The story of its rebirth, the result of an award-winning 30-year restoration, is even more extraordinary than its earlier life.
- In 2003, it was awarded the World Ship Trusts Maritime Heritage Award for authentic restoration. In this honour it joins a select band of restored ships throughout the world, including the Vasa (Sweden 1627), USS Constitution (USA 1797) and Cutty Sark (UK 1869).
James Craig is owned by the Sydney Heritage Fleet, a community-based, non-profit organisation dedicated to the preservation of Australia's maritime heritage.
Most days of the year (particularly Monday to Friday), the James Craig stands at our wharves open for admission, but it does enjoy regular weekend harbour sails (see 'Sail the James Craig' below), occasional interstate trips and periodic maintenance. If you'd like to confirm its availability on the day of your visit, please check the Sydney Heritage Fleet website.
Please note these changes to wharfside availability:
- Saturday 10 November - Ship closed from 12pm for afternoon sailing
- Sunday 18 November - Ship closed 12.30pm to 4pm for private charter
- Wednesday 21November - Ship closed 10am to 2.30pm for private charter
- Saturday 24 November - Ship closed from 2pm for private charter
- Sunday 25 November - Sip closed for sailing
- Friday 25 January – Sunday 24 February 2019. Ship away at the Australian Wooden Boat Festival.
Sail the James Craig
Enjoy a glorious day under sail off Sydney Heads including a gourmet box lunch, morning and afternoon tea, and a fully licensed bar on board.
James Craig sails most weekends in Sydney (Saturday or Sunday, 9.30am - 4.00pm approximately).
For prices and booking information (including gift certificates) please visit Sydney Heritage Fleet or phone them on +61 2 9298 3888.
Please note: The vessel carries 80 passengers at sea. Unfortunately, children under 12 are not permitted to sail.