In this section
Collection of personal information via our website
On-line forms on this website, such as our Welcome Wall registration form and research enquiry form, record information from you in clearly labelled fields, including name and contact details. This information will be stored in secure museum databases. The information you provide will be used solely by the relevant museum staff for its intended purpose, as stated on those pages. Your name, contact details and other information will not be provided to any other person or organisation without your knowledge and consent.
If you contact any member of staff using an email link from this website, your email address will be used only to reply to you and will not be added to a mailing list or disclosed to any other person or organisation without your knowledge and consent.
If you have requested it the Australian National Maritime Museum will use your information to provide you with regular email updates on our exhibitions and events.
We will always offer you an opportunity to OPT-OUT of receiving communications from the Australian National Maritime Museum and we will ensure your details are excluded from all internal marketing lists and future campaigns.
Information and contact details which you supply us by email, or by using our on-line forms, are protected from unauthorised access over the Internet by the same security systems that protect our internal networks and databases. These include firewall technology. If you are concerned about security of transmission we will accept your information by mail, telephone or facsimile, at the numbers and addresses appearing on this website (see About us/Our people/How to contact us).
Clickstream data & cookies
Our web server makes a record of your visit and logs limited information for statistical purposes - your server address, top-level domain name (.com, .gov, .edu, .au etc), the date and time of your visit to our site, pages accessed and documents downloaded, previous site visited and the type of browser used. No additional cookies are employed.
We will not identify users of this website, or their browsing activities, to any unauthorised person unless lawfully directed to do so by an investigating agency with a valid warrant to inspect our server logs.
Publication of personal information on our website
No personal information sent by you, when you contact us or if you fill in any of our on-line forms, is published on our website.
Any names and email addresses of museum staff appearing on this website are provided with the knowledge and assent of each staff member.
© Commonwealth of Australia 2006
You may download, display, print and reproduce this material in unaltered form only (retaining this notice), for your personal, non-commercial use or use within your organisation.
Apart from any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, subsequent amendments or related legislation, all other rights are reserved. Requests for authorisation to reproduce copyright material should be directed to:
Phone : 61 2 9298 3647
Fax : 61 2 9298 3670
Postal address : GPO Box 5131 Sydney NSW 2001 Australia.
The Australian National Maritime Museum has attempted to determine the owners of copyright material appearing on this website, and to secure permissions or licences to reproduce them. Anyone who believes they may have an interest in material appearing on this website should contact the publications manager (details above)
You accept all risks and responsibility for losses, damages, costs and other consequences resulting directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
Information at this site:
- is provided as part of the Australian National Maritime Museum's statutory role in the dissemination of information relating to maritime history and heritage;
- is subject to the uncertainties of historical and related research and may not be accurate, current or complete.
- is subject to change without notice;
- is not a substitute for independent research and users should obtain any appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular interests;
- the material on this web site may include the views or recommendations of third parties, which do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian National Maritime Museum.
Security risks and computer viruses
The World Wide Web operates across insecure, public networks. You assume all risks associated with use of the web site, including:
- risk of your computer, software or data being damaged by any virus, disabling codes, worms or other devices and defects which might be transmitted or activated via the website, or your access to it or the downloading of files from the web site;
- connections transmitted to and from this site being intercepted and modified by third parties.
Links to external web sites
The Australian National Maritime Museum has no direct control over the content of any linked sites, or the changes that may occur to the content on those sites. It is the responsibility of the user to make their own decisions about the accuracy, currency, reliability and correctness of information contained in linked external web sites.
Links to external web sites do not constitute an endorsement or a recommendation of any material on those sites or of any third party products or services offered by, from or through those sites. Users of links provided by this web site are responsible for being aware of which organisation is hosting the web site they visit.
Acceptable Use Policy
The intent of the Acceptable Use Policy is to create a positive environment where people are able to publicly contribute their views to the consultation forum, in the spirit of improving government policy, without fear of abuse or harassment or exposure to offensive or otherwise inappropriate content and protecting the operators of the consultation forum from legal liability.
When contributing your views to this consultation forum, please ensure that you:
- do protect your personal privacy and that of others by not including personal information of either yourself or of others in your posts to the forum, (such as names, email addresses, private addresses or phone numbers);
- do post material to the forum that is relevant to the issues currently being consulted on;
- do represent your own views and not impersonate or falsely represent any other person;
- do not be abusive, harass or threaten others;
- do not make defamatory or libellous comments;
- do not use insulting, provocative or hateful language;
- do not use obscene or offensive language;
- do not post material to the forum that infringes the intellectual property rights of others;
- do not post multiple versions of the same view to the forum;
- do not promote commercial interests in your posts to the forum; and
- do not include internet addresses or links to websites, or any email addresses, in your contribution.