In this section
Vaughan Evans Library
The Vaughan Evans Library is the research library of the Australian National Maritime Museum. It is named after the late Vaughan Evans OAM.
- For the latest library news, research advice and bookmarks, visit the library blog.
The collection reflects the activities and collecting interests of the museum. It includes:
- publications relating to the museum's permanent exhibition themes
- many standard reference sources for research on ships and shipping
- material relating to temporary exhibitions
- specialist museum publications on topics like exhibitions design, conservation and restoration, museology and maritime archaeology
- good runs of journals on shipbuilding, yachting and surfing (with the emphasis on non-current materials).
- Download the Library Collection Policy (PDF, 101kb)
The library is located a short walk from the main museum building at:
Wharf 7 Maritime Heritage Centre
58 Pirrama Rd
Pyrmont NSW 2009
Librarian: Gillian Simpson +61 2 9298 3731
Inter-library loans: Karen Pymble +61 2 9298 3739
Fax: +61 2 9298 3730
Vaughan Evans Library
Australian National Maritime Museum
58 Pirrama Rd
PYRMONT NSW 2009
Vaughan Evans OAM (1924-1993) was a founding patron of the library and a well-known figure in maritime history circles. He was a tireless proponent of the Australian National Maritime Museum and a consultant to governments on maritime heritage issues. A founder of the Australian Association for Maritime History, he was its long-time newsletter editor. His extensive personal library, donated in 1986, formed a nucleus of the library's holdings. Vaughan was awarded the Order of Australia Medal in 1988 for his role in raising the standards and profile of the discipline of maritime history.
Ask a librarian
Can't get to the library? Our research enquiry service may be the answer. Before making an enquiry you may want to look at our research guides for the answers you need.
Cost: Free of charge for up to one hour's research time. Further time is charged at $40.00 per hour if you require more research. For your initial free enquiry, we will provide:
- a response as soon as possible subject to availability of staff and resources
- up to one hour research time
- a reasonable amount of photocopying if relevant
- relevant printouts from our Collection Management system
- bibliographical resources if relevant to your enquiry
- estimate of time needed to undertake/complete research if more than one hour
- information about other researchers or institutions that can help.
Delivery time: We endeavour to answer your enquiry within two weeks of receiving it. However, due to the high demand for this service, this is not always possible.
Library fees and charges (all inclusive of GST)
|Inter-library loans||$13.20 for a core inter-library loan request. There is no charge to libraries borrowing material for museum members or volunteers.|
|Photocopying||20 cents per A4 page, 40 cents per A3 page. Colour copies $1.00 per page. Free for members|
|Micrographic printouts||Plain paper prints from microfilm and microfiche readers, 20 cents per page|
|Individual researchers||Individual users may conduct their own research in the library free of charge.|
|Information requests from other libraries, government organisations and museums||Free of charge|
|Information requests from individuals||The library will advise researchers conducting their own research on likely sources of information and refer them to other institutions free of charge.|
|Research enquiries||The library will undertake research or supply information to a member of the public for up to one hour free of charge. Any further research initiated by the requester will be charged at the rate of $40.00 per hour and include copies for each hour of research time. Research is undertaken by a team of library staff and may include volunteers working under the direction of the library staff. We aim to answer public enquiries within two weeks (subject to staffing resources and demand for this service).|
|Corporate enquiries||Enquiries from commercial organisations are charged at $90.00 per hour plus additional costs including photocopying, database searches etc. The response time for corporate enquiries is three working days. Enquiries which elicit no results are billed at the usual rate and clients are advised of resources consulted and advised of other avenues to pursue.|
|Photographic prints from the museum's collection||Find out about obtaining reproductions of images from our historic photograph collections or of other collection objects.|